LADURÉE, HARRODS

LADURÉE, HARRODS

Studio Panetude

London, 2006

Press-formed lacquered steel sheet, brass and gold leaf

The history of the Parisian Ladurée tearoom dates back to 1862, when Louis-Ernest Ladurée opened a bakery at 16 Rue Royale. The elegant decoration of the interiors was assigned to Jules Chéret, a famous poster designer, who based on the fresco techniques of the Sistine Chapel and the Opéra Garnier enhanced the interiors with fantasies painted on the large ceilings, including the “pastry-chef angel” that was to remain the symbol of the Ladurée shop. The Salone de thé Ladurée continued to be a symbol of reference in 19th-century Paris, becoming an important brand as well, thanks to the invention of the famous “Macarons” by Pierre Desfontaines. For its London facility inside the famous Harrods department store the Ladurée tearoom, entrusting its image to Studio Panetude, has chosen a look from the street that explicitly evokes its history. The facade custom-made by Marzorati Ronchetti is based on a regular compositional grid, organizing a decorative grammar with 19th-century overtones in the six resulting parts, with details in brass covered with gold leaf, including the central sign. The whole metal surface in press-formed sheet and the structural posts that contain the large glazings and the central double entrance door are painted in a soft sage green color, in tune with and complementary to the terracotta decorations of the Harrods facade.

All works